I don’t drive or rather I can’t drive. It is a great
handicap for me, as I got used to depending on my husband for my mobility, and
many often he doesn’t do it very happily. I am at wrong, I should say, for not keeping to the agreed time thereby making him
wait for two to five minutes (at times, even up to ten) outside my college or university.
Two weeks back we had an argument regarding the same old
story of me being late, and for once my mind rebelled. I was adamant and
determined no more to depend on him for my comings and goings. With that sheer
will, I boarded a bus and searched around for a place to sit. My eyes fell on an
elderly woman, a ‘ senior citizen’, as Government calls them. She was
hesitating for a moment whether to remove her bag from the seat and move a
little to give me room, or just keep to her convenience. She looked at me too,
and then Oh My it was Anabel! .. a good person whom I’ve lost in touch with
years back. She too recognized me and made me sit after a hug.
I was looking at her
face again, partly listening to what she was saying and alternatively deciphering more about what
her eyes conveyed and the efforts her facial muscles and sophisticated lip movements were taking to display a show of content, which was obviously absent in her. She remains a
spinster, and at her age..she must be in her mid sixties.. she is insecure,
alone and in want – of companionship, love, care, social recognition, a family,
something to keep her occupied. She is fighting a long standing litigation to
“regain her lost property” and engages in social activity to keep herself busy. She associates with NGOs and is ‘admiringly’ working for the anti
corruption campaign motivated by the Anna Hazare.
( I don’t approve many of these NGOs whom I have met..
there may be better ones I am yet to meet.. I feel they have a closed mind and
adamant commitment to causes, and each of them seem to have a personal worry to
crush and cover underneath the solemn vow. I feel they are escapists, many of
these small scale social activists and the nuns too)
I wondered if it is Anabel’s unmarried status which makes
her appear so insecure. Even though I was sure of my perception, just to keep myself open
to options, I even wondered- is it that I (the stupid society) just perceive
this susceptibility of the unmarried, because of my(our) set prejudices.
Is it necessary that a person should marry? Of course it is
a matter of personal choice. But as a woman I am in favour of marriage despite
the much acclaimed adjective of a ‘necessary evil’. It isn’t evil at all. It is
good to be married. Not that marriage is about being in love, not that marriage
is always about being cared for, not that marriage makes one happy, it still is
good. Only condition being, you should know to make yourself happy in marriage.
I continued my silence at home and my bus trips, with lot
of agitation in my mind, deciding not to break the ice, not to give up atleast
for this one time, not to give my love free from now, thinking 'let him earn my
love' and much more. After a couple of days, he told me in the morning –
“Come, let me drop you to college”. I refused with all that air of dignity continued by a stiff few this and that from both sides. With my face all blown
up with hurt, pride and something else, I opened the door to leave and then I
turned back and kissed him on his cheeks and said “you don’t love me at all…
blah blah blah” .. tears shamelessly rolling down my powdered cheeks, lipstick
wasted on his tshirt. I saw a glimpse of moisture in his eyes too. I washed my
face and left alone for work.. I was smiling as I was walking towards my
workplace… I thought.. maybe I was wrong.. I might have been troubling him lots
by asking him to 'chauffeur' me (ufff!!! thats his term) .. I should do my things on my own.. mind made
up..
I haven’t been on a bus, nor did I walk to and from work or
move anywhere else on my own after that.. its been a few weeks now.. and I am
still being 'chauffeured'. I am shameless, its marriage after all !
..and thats how we all live marriage, i think!!!!
ReplyDeleteNice...
I think marriage is more of a choice now than a necessity, for a single person. I don't think everyone was born to be married and have children even though we grow up thinking this is the expected path we must choose.
ReplyDeleteI can't speak for Anabel, but I will say that a choice to remain single is anything but insecurity. In fact it's quite the contrary. It can symbolize someone who is very strong, independent, secure, and content with their career, lifestyle, etc.
Very thought provoking read, Pygma :) I would go crazy if I had to rely on someone else for mobility, but that's just me :)) *hugs*
Sometimes being dependent on someone is a pain for the other.
ReplyDeleteMarriage is a choice these days as Princess Fiona said. :)
:) You are such a darling, recently a girl emailed me and we chatted....she wanted to read something on how we as society do not allow women be and be single if they wish to....
ReplyDeleteFor some reason, I still feel she should read this...I will share your link....
I have finally learnt to ride a bike and no, my husband didn't teach me :)
"Not that marriage is about being in love, not that marriage is always about being cared for, not that marriage makes one happy, it still is good. Only condition being, you should know to make yourself happy in marriage". liked it!! as usual u realy stunn me!!!!!!! good luck.:P
ReplyDeletewe human beings have the tendency to make things mess...then clear it up and thats how we spend our lives.
ReplyDeletewhen at a stage we feel bored and lonely we go out for marrige and after that that legendry married life which will always keep you busy.
but like it's said "to each its own", i feel marrige is a clumsy boundation("my own views").
To be or not to be........good..:)
ReplyDeleteSigh ! Sigh! I was longing for this post Pygma! And after reading it my mind got triggered by that possibility of "escapisms" if marriage is not in dictionary for the insecure ones! In a way every human being is insecure to a small extend in their deepest layers!
ReplyDeleteTh e way you drove the ideas from your personal experience and the water proof of inner colouring just accentuated the depth and gravity of the issue!
I am into a thousand thoughts;)
Thanks dear for this inspiring note:) To be or not to be...that's my self questioning! Let me ponder!
You explore the many facets of relationships so beautifully:-)
ReplyDeleteI often think that marriage is unnecessary too-it refrains one from the free flight that one can discover when alone on his/her path of life...but then like you say, the dawn of life is scary-what if then one realizes that the choices made were wrong and that loneliness kills faster than lack of flights when young...
So I ponder n ponder n never come to any conclusion and resignation sets in:-)
And loved the pride cum drama that you pulled off and although I drive and can't imagine my life without it, I guess nothing beats chauffeuring...unless of course chauffeuring with a smile :-)
reading your blog is like drinking a peg of single malt, neat --it goes down touching and burning a few spots within me....excellent as usual pygma....i have felt that all those who are married have felt atleast once "wish i were not"...but, then again there are indeed moments that make us feel " i am glad i am married to him/her"---like gibran's poem --its "a tear and a smile"----cheers
ReplyDeleteIt is a delicate theme , I know and its very difficult to be unbiased and truthful about this too.. So I have merely slid over the personal happenings and how it feels to me. It is always a personal choice and any opinion on marriage is relative obviously. There cannot be a uniform code here. There is also a lot which is not said here, I wasn't really through in this post.. I just concluded abruptly.. yet to be penned..
ReplyDeleteLady Fiona: What you have symbolised is also possible, it is all personal indeed, no generalities can be drawn. Thanks a lot dear for your sharing your thoughts.
Parvanam: amen!
Pratheek: dependency which i projected is a superficial layer of an inherent one, which is not a pain always.. pleasurable too at times.. and do u know that sometimes these show of 'pain' is a fancy pretense too.. human mind is a maze my dear.
Chintan, you spread warmth .. with your love and thoughts.. thanks for all the genuine support.. love you.. I have to join for driving lessons soon.. I was not driving following a fall i had from my bike 9 years back.. the effect of which has still not left my arm that strong.. but i will start exercising on the gear now and the wheel:)
ReplyDeleteThanks Dasan and Siddhu
ReplyDeleteguilty : i dont think people marry because they are bored. But ppl do get bored once they marry;)
Our perceptions , especially at an early age , changes tremendously later on.. Thanks for the visit and your thoughts..
Nasnin haha sigh! hehehe
ReplyDeleteyou cannot be an escapist, i am sure
plunge into it dear, you will not lose anything but gain more stuff for your pen. Life is to be known and savoured, not escape out of presumed incompatibility and fear of risk.. Ponder Ponder.. I am with you:)
suruchi: our minds can know no fear, it cannot be cribbed, cabined and confined.. not even in marriage.. fly high... Thnx dear
ReplyDeleteyespee: what a beautiful comment. love you lots:)
ReplyDeleteVery thought provoking and nicely composed post!..
ReplyDeleteI still cant make my mind and think of the possibility of being independent and happy.. some how from the way i was brought up and from the way we see in the so called society these words dont go together for women as such! and may be that thought just stays in the mind of every one that even the thought of being unmarried scares one..!
What a topic u took and how it tickles the brain!! :)
not just that you dealt with husband wife conflict, woman’s confidence, social worker.. and so on..! God how did u cover everything in one post!!!
Loved the way you ended by stating the obvious about marriage!!
Dear Krishnapriya, I am glad that you read not merely the post but my mental traverses too.. Love
ReplyDeletePygmaa...I will quote some of your text & some of Yespee's ..hehe...beautifully written as usual..:)..hugs..
ReplyDelete"you should know to make yourself happy in marriage."..I think it is so hard to be happy in some moments..:)
i have felt that all those who are married have felt atleast once "wish i were not"...but, then again there are indeed moments that make us feel " i am glad i am married to him/her" - Many times I have this kind of thought..:)
dear,
ReplyDeletereally it is very touching , when sagar told me to go through ur blog i really wondered ,but now i understand wat he mean to tell me. proud to have a friend like u dear. hope im still in ur memories .i hope i could put my thoughts, frustrations, everyday experiences, my limitations, my dreams into words like u . anyway i felt better when i recognise all those who are married felt same as me for atleast once in their life. cheers friend ...........its my privilege to have a friend like u( i hope still u consider me as a friend)
thanks suma..hugs
ReplyDeletehey tara, thanx dear for the visit here
itsmyprivilege:)
lets stay in touch
well... the ngo thing is right... most of these are just for self satisfaction and pastime....
ReplyDeletesee in longterm relationship small fights and spats are bound to be there...all one needs is a little time out... and the love and care starts to comeback... just you related your story... i too think one should marry... one cannot live whole life alone...there is so much to share ..