Saturday, November 26, 2011

When nobody is watching you


You are what you are, When you do what you do, When nobody is watching you
I had read these lines years back and have written these as a slogan many times for others! Was just thinking what am I? What do I do when nobody is watching me? Other than the daily chores?


When I was a little girl, I was often left in my own world, where I used to talk to myself rubbing ice on my arms, copying the commercial beauties I saw on our black and white Keltron TV Box. It had shutters from the sides, wooden ones and we watched Lucy Show, Barbapappa and Salma Sultana’s samachar without fail. And of course the Saturday movies. There was a mosantha tree spreading its branches into our balcony, I used to collect the tiny yellow flowers which come in the centre of the light pink mosantha petals. It smells strange. While walking to school through the District Court premises, I had spent time collecting the hair like pink flowers which fall off those huge trees. Alone I would sit on a stone bench in the large and lonely lands. I would dream of me with princess frocks and admired by all, pampered by all.

On holidays, alone again in a big three storied building (we had lived on one side of it, the other half was lawyers’ chambers), I would squander here and there, often on the terrace never minding the sun. I really don’t know why I spat on people’s heads from above and amused myself when they were searching for the source of the ‘bird droppings’. I even extended my survey to others’ garden; there was an unoccupied house opposite to ours, and a pomegranate tree at the far end of it, spotted with chirping sparrows, and a tuition centre window closed against that tree. It is my fortune that I wasn’t subject to child abuse those days, considering my lone wanderings at secluded spots. Sometimes I used to open my coin box, take out a 20 paisa coin and run to the panshop near by to get a pink coloured bubble gum (double bubble, I think), it was theft in a way, as I did it quietly and knowing it was ‘wrong’.
At the age of 11, I used to earnestly pray that my jasmine and rose blooms. Every morning I expected a miracle, but the flowers never did come. I guess that was the last memory I have of innocence in me.
As a teenager, of course I was inquisitive about matters of sex, wanted always to watch an adult movie or magazine atleast, but never came across one, till date. In school I had serious discussions with close friends, as to how pregnancy takes place, I am surprised now that I didn’t know about it even at 12. We thought of different possibilities of how the sperm enters a woman’s body. In my mind I imagined sexual pleasures without even knowing the intricacies of the final act. For me it was nudity, kissing and mostly centered on a woman’s breast.
Finally I could get a ‘dirty book’ from my brother’s shelf, which I took out and read and kept it back without him knowing. Unfortunately the book had no pictures; it was a novel containing sexual descriptions and intercourse. This was of course a leap from the regular Mills and Boons. I explored my own body imagining a lot many things which could happen to it, all pleasurable and thrilling. Later on in my early twenties, at night in my locked room, I had worn mom’s saree and put on some jewellery and vermillion and imagined myself as a bride and had terrific imagination of loving and making love in the sacredness of wedlock. 
What do I do now, as an adult. When I am alone?
I waste time, I still dream the impossible, I fall in love, I romance, at times I get addicted to virtual world and fail to look at the sky and feel the breeze and trade all of those with a window which opens the world to me. I live sometimes in a fake world. And zoooooooom I come out of that hibernation, spread out my wings, soar in the high skies, I laugh, merry and spread fun and still remain alone… I am always that little girl who sits alone in that stone bench in the majestic grounds, dreaming of achievements and love. 

15 comments:

  1. Pgy...I have done most of it all too...I used to steal money and buy Reynolds pen :-):-) it had its own fun....

    and I did watch adult movies too....

    <3<3<3<3 I was waiting for you to write...it was getting boring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to tip toe into the kitchen an steal HORLICKS and eat....actually I still do tht..and about the whole adult thing, DITTO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chintan, you pinched me out of that lethargy:)

    Thanks Red Handed.. Even I do that now, boost and milk powder to savour as I wander online.. quietly without leaving any traces to be retrieved by hubby next morning;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. suppppper!! :)
    You are what you are, When you do what you do, When nobody is watching you....

    good writing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mischievous Pygma...how naughty of you! While you traced back to the last of the innocent moments and ecstasies of teenage imagination I was climbing back to my own crazy trashes on that childhood stairs!
    Pygma's wings were full fledged throbbing to fly from the very beginning... achingly beautiful!(proper adjectives are not coming to me now since this one is so properly beautiful)
    It aches because it reminds me that I am stained of that dredges of inhibition even when I am alone which never disturbed me sometimes at my teens;)
    I used to steal a lot of cheese and tamarind from kitchen and count my spits on the small lower eve of our balcony and had the wildest of the ignorant fantasies on romance and love making! We are born twice dear:-) "Tragedy of life is not death but growth"??? "I am always that little girl who sits alone in that stone bench in the majestic grounds, dreaming of achievements and love."...so growth cannot impede the fancies so easily:-) Lots and lots of love Pygma:):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved it pymgmaa....hugs...u r what u r...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A remote control car, cartoon network, animax. Ah! Those were the blissful days.
    Amy regarding adult stuff - let's not just talk about it. You'll probably beat me down if I pen those fantasies here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely post..! and it made me think of all those lovely childhood days and the thrilling teenage days..! From the comments I can see that every one felt the same way too..! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great write and topic, Pygma! I especially LOVE the last paragraph! *Looks around room for a hidden video cam* :D I feel like you were spying on my so-called life ;)*hugs*

    P.S. ~ Literally laughing out loud @ the 'spit droppings' :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. woww.... realy good one pygma took all of us to the past!!!.. rememebring star treck and chitrahar!!!!.... nostalgice memmories explaind so simple as usual!!.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. parvanam, suma, : enthu parayaana, ingane pattyi poyi;)

    dasan: yes yes, startrek , chitrahar and giant robot.. ha ha great old days

    pratheek: c'mon go ahead!!! haha lets come to know too;)

    Nasnin, so we share the spit thrill as well! u were counting and I was aiming at the heads..oh gosh, how could I ever do that! achingly beautiful..wow.. no words..
    Childhood and teenage are never really truly gone.. all of these are still in us, na

    Lady Fiona: oops the video cam! I had kept it so well hidden;) great to know that I am not alone in my ventures.. Thanks a lot:)

    Krishnapriya is such a lovely name..
    none is different when in comes to childhood:)Thanks dear

    ReplyDelete
  12. excellent pygma--through your words am sure many wud have gone back to their world of solitude---lovely---soar high---let the cheerfulness and happiness stay forever---keep writing---loneliness is indeed bliss at times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are what you are....its Adorable nd lovely..keep writing,:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so that was kind of a recap of what has happened in your life until now... :) wonderfully written with no censorship...i say its damn daring to write everything about oneself :) marvelous... when you are alone you write on your blog for us to have such wonderful reads :) keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely piece of work..

    I am always that little girl who sits alone in that stone bench in the majestic grounds, dreaming of achievements and love...
    Sitting there right now..
    waiting for more.

    ReplyDelete

What is it that you are thinking now?